Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The quest for a better nights rest.

There have been many studies done linking sleep and obesity. Guess what. People who get an average of 8 hrs of sleep per night tend to weigh less than their peers who only get 5-6 hrs of sleep a night. According to a study done from 1982-1984 people that got 5 hrs of sleep were 73% more likely to become obese. 73% more likely!!! Even though this study was done awhile ago, scientist and researchers are finding the outcomes to be more true than ever. Lets face it. America is fat. We are overworked, under paid, sleep deprived, stressed out people who live on processed garbage and fast food. If that isn't a recipe for disaster I don't know what is.

The past almost week now I had decided to take my life into my own hands and be fully responsible for the choices I was making that led me to become fat. It wasn't easy. It was much easier to blame other things, or other people, but ultimately it was on me. I have been watching what I eat, keeping an online food journal and cutting calories and working out. The one part that has been alluding me is the sleep. No matter what time I seem to get up at, or how much activity I seem to do during the day I still somehow manage to stay up till midnight or better. It's frustrating. I'm tired, but can't sleep. The last week has been great except when evening comes. See I was a big time late night eater. Big time. I would cook up huge meals of rice, spam, and eggs and eat really late. Since embarking on my weight loss journey I have been using 7:30 p.m. as my cut off time for eating, and it hasn't been easy. Since I've been staying up so late, come 11, 12 o'clock I start getting the munchies. Not good. To keep your body in it's maxium calorie burning state you should eat every 4-6 waking hrs. This is why they suggest you eat 4-6 small meals a day. So, to help combat it all I have been having warm mugs of chamomile tea with honey, or last night I had half a cucumber with some salt. I know I broke my after 7:30 rule, but I wasn't going to go hungry and risk bingeing either.

So this is my dilemma. I need to find a way of establishing a good bedtime regime. If anyone has any tips they would be greatly appreciated. I don't want something as trivial as lack of sleep tripping up or stalling all my efforts. So please, if you read this throw me some ideas.

Thanks for reading,
Stephanie

3 comments:

  1. I don't have trouble sleeping, but Shelly used to. Here are some ideas I remember looking up for her, and some of my own:

    I personally don't like taking baths, but a lot of friends swear by a warm bath with lavendar bath salts - and a mug of tea, too! I take hot showers, and they sometimes make me drowsy (but then I have to do my hair afterwards because I can't sleep with wet hair, and that wakes me up again).

    Don't use your bed for anything other than sleeping! Your mind/body should associate it with sleep only (well, okay, and sex, too).

    ... speaking of sex. A good rollicking time with your hubby might tire you out! (sorry if I'm being too forward)

    Don't exercise before bed, the endorphins will energize you and keep you awake. (So if you do have sex, you have to have an orgasm to relax your body, or else it might have the opposite effect.)

    Read! But not in bed - read on the couch or on a comfy rug on the floor, in just enough light to not damage your eyes. And not just "fun" books - in the beginning, until your brain is used to the "read, then sleep" schedule, read non-fiction books that aren't especially thrilling. They almost always make me sleep, even if I'm truly interested!

    The biggest trick is to get into a routine. You want to do something similar every night. I would recommend beginning at thirty minutes before your normal bedtime with the routine. Then after two nights, do it thirty minutes earlier. Keep doing it earlier every few nights, and just like your exercise/diet regime, stick with it! Your body will adjust, and you'll feel so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha Suzy you are never being too forward. :) Those are some great tips and ideas. I will definitely try them out and keep you posted on how it works out for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister in law went to a sleep study and they said don't watch TV in bed or just before. It keeps your brain way to active. Besides if you watch tv then go to bed it leaves no time for those night orgasms. ;)

    ReplyDelete