Monday, September 28, 2009

Recipes coming your way...

So I have been racking my brain for some recipe ideas to help fit my new lifestyle. I've come up with a few, and I wanted to share them with you. Next month I will feature them in my other blog Stephanie's Kitchen. The first is a recipe idea that I got from my next door neighbor so I can't take complete credit for it, although I have come up with some stellar ways to make it almost guilt free. I think one of the things that trips you up the most when you are trying to change the way you eat is feeling like you can't eat anything. So what do you do? You deny yourself even the smallest of pleasures and end of binge eating instead. So I am going to take some the most beloved, and fattening, calorie laden favorites and find ways to make them so delish you would never know you were missing out on anything.

My first idea is Jalapeno Poppers. I know when you think of these, your mind instantly conjures up deep fried, breaded things stuffed with full fat cream cheese or cheddar. Believe it or not what I've got in mind is even better. Except the jalapenos are not deep fried and instead are stuffed with fat-free cream cheese, turkey bacon, and chives. Is your mouth watering yet??

My other guilty pleasure is fries. I love fries. Who doesn't right?! So how can we have fries and not feel guilt? Sure, you could cut up a traditional potato and bake it in the oven, but where is the fun it that. Not to mention potatoes aren't exactly bursting with nutritional value, just a lot of starch. Instead when you think of fries, think of sweet potatoes. If you have not yet experienced the flavor ecstasy of french fries made from these sweet little treasures, deny yourself no longer and give it a try. You will not be disappointed. Not only is it tasty, one medium size sweet potato is only 95 calories!!! Let McDonalds try to match that! These babies are packed full of goodies. You will get your daily dose of Vitamin A for sure, not to mention a healthy serving of Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, potassium, iron, and dietary fiber.

I hope this has helped you look at food in a new way. If you come up with any good food suggestions, or substitutes please feel free to post them.

Thanks for reading,
Stephanie

4 comments:

  1. Home-made sweet potato fries are the BEST! Remember, when eating potatoes, that the skin is usually the most nutrient-rich. And your poppers sound so yummy! Although I would probably use cheddar or mozzarella.

    There is a lot of information out there about making things non-fat... And a lot of it can be misleading. Remember, you still want to have good fats (from olive oil, peanuts, etc.), but also that sometimes when you're substituting the non-fat or "healthier" option you end up getting a LOT more nasty stuff in your body. People have been eating butter for centuries without problems. The key is moderation... not switching to margarine! I know you haven't mentioned things like that, but I just wanted to throw that out there because you're making healthier food choices (here's an interesting related article: http://www.fitnessspotlight.com/2009/3/16/selling-ill-health-real-foods-fake-foods/).

    Anyway, I can't wait to read more recipes, and again, so proud of you! You inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the article link. I will definitely have to read it. Was on my way to bed and thought I'd pop in and see if I got any new comments. :) I am definitely going to be careful with the "low fat" terms. I am leaning towards more whole foods, foods that are unprocessed such as nature intended.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a big pasta nut, I found a really low carb, high fiber kind of pasta that is called Dreamfields so I use this instead of regular pasta and I use regular full fat alfredo (which is lower in sugar and carbs then light) and that helps my craving for that. I love the low carb wraps you can get at costco with only 6 digestable carbs and they are 6 bucks for 20 which is an awesome deal. I use them for low carb wraps with cheese, bacon, eggs, lettuce, tomato and grilled chicken. Sometimes I just slather peanut butter on them and wrap that around a banana for a snack. I totally feel the same way though, starving isn't the answer. You need to rev your metabolism up by eating more small meals of the right foods is the key. Sounds like you know what you're doing. You'll see results in no time! Keep it up lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to make frozen frys.. baked in the oven.. I always feel like I am cheating when I eat them!!

    Jordan and I made some YUMMY mexican chicken in the crock pot..
    5 chicken breasts
    2 cups water
    1 packet taco seasoning
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1 can diced chili peppers(we did mild cuz we are babies!)
    1 diced onion
    cook on low until chicken will shread
    I just eat it plain or on a salad.. but the guys eat it on a tortilla. YUMMO~

    ReplyDelete